Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Rhetorical Analysis

I chose an Geico insurance company commercial to use for this assignment. In the commercial, the gecko lizard is the spokesperson used, along with the Roadrunner from the Looney Tunes cartoons. This commercial was ineffective for me as it failed to convince me to want to switch insurance companies. The company failed to use ethos in this ad as the gecko as a spokesman is not trustworthy or a notable figure as he is a cartoon character. Who wants to take any advice from any type of fictional character? While I found this ad to be unconvincing, I do have to say the one strong point comes from the company's use of logos. They used the figure of you can save up to fifteen percent or more on your insurance to draw the viewer in. While this is a positive point in the ad, I still am not tempted to call them for a quote.

6 comments:

  1. The geico lizard is the figurehead of an insurance company. Bad things happen so you should be prepared. The lizard is nearly hit with an anvil and a piano then narrowly avoids being eaten by a coyote; But he never loses his confidence because he knows that Geico has him covered. Not to mention they are trying to appeal to fans of the featured cartoon characters. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did have effective logos in it with appeal to logic by telling you that you can save up to 15% on car insurance. Possibly pathos if you feel for the coyote who never gets the roadrunner, I mean that poor coyote can never catch a break. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the logos was very effective. If you were a person watching this ad and all about stats for choosing an insurance company, it really could be a swaying point - or at least make you want to go check out the insurance company to find out the more realistic stats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think this ad is effective because I think Geico is more known for the lizard spokes person rather then what the company has to offer. I don't think they have an effective use of pathos either and I am not drawn to what Geico is selling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you can look at it a couple ways. If you're just watching, it seems to not be effective at all, I mean what does cartoon characters have anything to do with insurance. However, it can prove the point that Cason said, he is confident because he knows that he's covered. Geico is my insurance company, but this commercial wouldn't make me jump to switch if it wasn't. Good post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adan,
    I have to agree that the gecko is not a reliable informant when purchasing auto insurance. The logo "Saving fifteen percent or more" is a great catch line to remember, but I don't think that would be enough incentive to get me to switch. I have to admit though, I like the comedy quality to the commercials.

    ReplyDelete